Gluten free Dairy free Refined sugar free Vegan
I mean, no offense to every other healthy cookie I’ve ever baked, you all have a special place in my heart, but these almond and date chip cookies are just the single best healthy cookies I’ve ever baked! 🍪🍪🍪
RECIPE (makes 12 medium sized cookie)
- 1 cup Almond flour
- 1 1/2 cup gluten free Oat flour
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar (or more if you like it sweeter)
- 1/2 a vanilla bean or 1 tsp of Loving Earth vanilla bean powder
- 1 1/2 tsp Cinnamon, 1 tsp nutmeg
- Flax “egg” (made from 1 1/2 tbsp ground flax seed and 2 tbsp water)
- 1/4 cup coconut milk
- 1/3 cup Crushed or flaked roasted almonds (or any other but you choose)
- 15 dried chopped dates or some date pieces
Chocolate icing ingredients
- 2 tbsp cacao powder
- 3 tbsp coconut sugar
- 2 1/2 tbsp coconut cream
To make cookies:
- Combine the dry ingredients (almond flour, oat flour, coconut sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and vanilla bean) in a bowl and give it a bit of a mix through to combine. Note: if you are making your almond flour and oat flour from scratch just stick the nuts into a @thenutribullet or food processor and process until they are a flour. Do the same for the oats.
- Make your flax “egg” by processing your 1 1/2 tbsp of flax seeds in a nutribullet or food processor until they are a powder. Pour 2tbsp of water over them and stir… They will form an egg like consistency. Let it sit for 2-5 minutes before adding to mixture.
- Add the flax egg and coconut milk to the dry ingredients and stir until combined. Using your hands to mix at this part is encouraged ☺️
- Once the wet and dry ingredients are combined, stir through your chopped dried dates and slivered/chopped almonds
- Roll mixture into balls and flatten them on a baking tray that has been lined with baking paper.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes in a 180 degree (Celsius) oven.
- While cookies are baking make your icing by combining cacao powder, coconut sugar and coconut cream in a small saucepan over very low heat. Stir until there are no lumps and then remove from heat. If you leave it on the heat too long it will start to become a toffee consistency. We don’t want that.Alternatively, you can stir the ingredients together in a microwave safe cup and heat in the microwave for 5 seconds. Stir until smooth and refrigerate until you’re ready to ice the cookies.
- When the cookies are out of the oven and have cooled down (make sure they are cool before you ice them!), spreaod your icing on them with a knife. I then on mine.
ENJOY! These cookies are such a good texture.
You’ll find it hard not to eat the whole batch! 🍪🍪🍪🍪🍪
Original recipe by Made Whole co