These are the kind of brownies you lay in bed and dream about at night and try and remind yourself that getting out of bed to make brownies at 1:24am isn’t actually the best idea.
Excuse my use of a complete cringe word, but these brownies are so MOIST and super chocolatey! But I promise there is no butter or dairy, or even refined sugar.
The center is a chia seed jam (my recipe is here), made with fresh berries and chia seeds (and sweetener of your choice if you like). Chia seeds are high in good fats, protein & fibre, and the whole jam is packed with antioxidants, which means that you can enjoy your sweet treat and know it’s doing you body a lot of GOOD!!!
Now, can you say that about a McCafe fudgey brownie? No!
GREATEST FUDGEY BROWNIES WITH STRAWBERRY JAM CENTER!
- 1 cup of almonds or Almond flour (use buckwheat flour or gluten free oat flour as a nut alternative)
- 1 cup cacao powder (I used Loving Earth cacao powder)
- 1/2 a vanilla bean or 1 tsp of Loving Earth vanilla bean powder
- 220g of pitted medjool dates
- 1/4 cup Coconut Magic Coconut sugar
- A chia egg that has been set over night or for a few hours. To do this, add 2 tbsp of chia seeds to 3/4 cup of coconut milk and let it sit in the fridge over night
- A batch of delicious strawberry chia jam. I have posted the recipe here
To make brownies:
Preheat oven to 180 degree Celsius or 360 degrees Fahrenheit
- Before you start you need to have soaked your chia egg AND made your strawberry chia jam (recipe for chia jam here).
- Make almond flour by processing your almonds in a food processor, or, like I did, a Nutribullet. Alternatively, you can use almond flour
- Add almond flour, cacao powder and vanilla bean/powder to a mixing bowl
- Add your pitted dates to a sauce pan on medium-low heat. Start to mash them with a fork as they heat. Mash until they start to break down. You may also need to add a LITTLE bit of water or coconut milk to ensure everything does not burn.
- Add your coconut sugar to the pan with the dates. Keep them cooking on low-medium heat until the dates have all broken down and the sugar is dissolved. This should take about 5-10 minutes.
- While you wait for your dates to finish cooking, grab your chia egg from the fridge
. I blended mine in my nutribullet for about 2 minutes, pausing and mixing in-between. I also had to add a LITTLE bit more coconut milk to get it to blend, but be really careful not to add too much!!! This step was inspired by @leelouandharla on instagram, who beat her chia egg until it was fluffy like a meringue.
- When your dates are ready add them, along with your chia egg, to your mixing bowl with your dry ingredients. Mix until combined.
- Pour mixture into a greased or lined brownie tray and bake for about 30 minutes
- Remove your heavenly smelling brownies from the oven and allow them to cool. Once they have cooled, slice them into evenly sized squares.
- Spread strawberry chia jam onto a brownie and sandwich it with another brownie!
TAKE A HUGE BITE AND BE PREPARED TO WANT TO EAT THE WHOLE TRAY!!!!
Original Recipe by made whole
CLICK TO SHOP FOR INGREDIENTS:
(Use Made Whole coupon code “JWV697” on iHerb.com for $5 off your order!)